Sunday, January 18, 2015

Internet: Should have been there

   Look up my name, you wont really get much.
   
   You will know I exist, that I have a blog, a Facebook page, where I go to school, somehow you even can even find out my dad died without digging any deeper than searching my name and scrolling down a bit. But that's really not much at all is it? In fact while searching just the web and not just images, of the images that they do show not one is mine. The first couple images are actually of people I went to school with in high school. Today, I was mildly surprised though, because for the first time, I actually took up most of the first and second pages of my search. But all you get are some small facts, not really a complete picture if you don't know what you are looking for. 
  
   If you were to look on my Facebook page at the most recent history you would see some pictures of me and a video I'm in. The pictures I have popcorn in my beard and in the video I'm dancing ridiculously. That's something for sure, but I wouldn't even call it the icing. Unfortunately I mostly only post on other peoples' things. Why is this unfortunate? Because I pull off some really nice puns and you can't actually look them up anywhere, you can only stumble across them. As said by someone who bore witness to many such occasions " I swear that sam just lurks on facebook waiting for someone to post a status so he can make puns." And this is pretty much true. 
  
   There's something I really like about that though, because that is exactly what I do in life. There is always a part of me that is on the ready to turn a phrase, or to think outside of the box on any sort of thing that catches my interest. In fact, it is one of my primary modes of interaction with the world. And. It. Is. Wonderful. Because let me tell you, there is honestly nothing better than saying just the thing that gets a gut reaction day after day. 

  But this is a blog about my e-footprint. Well, I guess you could say I walk pretty softly. However I believe there is something completely authentic about all of this. To me, connecting to people online and in real life are done much the same ways. When I gather together with others, I tend not to be the origin of much, rather I am always at the edges, quickly gathering intel to say just what I need to, the right words in the right places (a phrase twisted from Pratchett).  I am not necessarily about creating, but rather I ere to controlling the flow of things, or at least following it all and pushing it into different directions. 



   

   


4 comments:

  1. Sam , my e-footprint is even softer. At least your picture is out there ! And a very handsome one too !! Entering my name , I discover that this Denise studied photography at The New England School of Photography in Boston, Massachusetts and received her BFA. from Massachusetts !! So for a big girl with a loud voice, my e print is nil !! Way to go Sam ! Create several E- Footprints !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, props to you for being a pun master. I am absolutely terrible at making jokes so i salute you on having a quality sense of humor. I actually really admire that you keep such a soft footprint on the internet. I think it gives a person a mysterious way about them if someone can't find much about them on the internet, because then you have to actually make an effort to get to know the person. I think it's really cool that your internet presence reflects how you are in the real world as well. It shows people just how genuine you truly are and that is a quality that unfortunately not many people in the world have. So, continue to walk softly and continue living life at its edges, it makes you the best version of you. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam
    I love how you are so comfortable with your E-identity. I know that there are many people who are not, like me. It's great that who you are online fits with how you are in the real world. I wonder what would happen if everyone was like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool. This was a very mature and introspective blog post. I swear you are my friend Jaylin from back home... I'm sending him this link. Maybe your e-footprint is larger than it appears. You go kiddo.

    ReplyDelete